You Are Reading

2011/03/28

Emotional Rollercoaster

So ever since the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami and "nuclear meltdown" it has been pretty hard for me to keep calm with everyone here at home exaggerating information that they are hearing from other people that heard from the news. Yeah usually stuff like this are called rumors, and these rumors tend to morph by the time it is passed down to the third or fourth person.  Mainly my family has been getting the worst of me because they are doing things without consulting me. I am pretty much the baby of the family because I am the youngest (for my mom) and she still treats me like a little kid.  She pretty much try to force me to stay by exaggerating information from an email that I received from Nihon Dai.  The email clearly states that "spring semester is going to  start as scheduled" and " there still are possibilities of cancallation or suspention of the semester that may occur at any time after your arrival." I had to point out the fact that there are only possibilities of cancellation or suspensions, not that the school will cancel for sure. My parents also called my school last night and Nihon Dai said that there was a high chance that the spring semester will be cancelled. Well, look here, it's not. My mom started going on like some splurge and trying to see when to book my flight to California so I can attend my old brother's wedding (yeah I know I should go but I will go into detail later) and to get a tuxedo for the wedding. My step-dad also has a brother in Japan that he called and talked to my mom.  I am pretty sure they over-exaggerated a good amount of information because my mom was telling me that everything in Japan is in a state of crisis and that it was super dangerous and that Japan is getting non-stop earthquakes. Seriously now? Are you serious? It is not as bad as it seems. I have been able to contact people in Japan, both from Osaka and Mishima and things are not that bad.


As for my brother's wedding, I really wanted to go. However, because I would have to buy another plane ticket and skip out on classes in Japan I decided that it would best not to. My mom tried to pretty much force me into cancelling this semester because it was so "dangerous" and what not and that the Fukushima power plant "WILL" go into a meltdown.  And againt, are you serious?! Has she been looking at the news...besides CNN? No! I have been looking at news from all over the world to look for information pertaining to the Fukushima power plant and what not. Things have started to stabilize a little bit and a chance for a meltdown has been lowered greatly.  What the people at Fukushima power plant are worried about now is to find out where radiation is being leaked and how to stop it.


In the end, after being super hard-headed and stubborn, I was able to convince my mom that I will be ok in Japan, that nothing bad will happen to me. The worse thing that could happen is the Fukushima power plant going into a meltdown, intense amounts of radiation will be released, or another earthquake will happen. If either of those happen, then my semester will cancel and I will just be on my way back to America. 


I will be leaving for Japan this Saturday, at 6:30 a.m. on April 2, 2011 and will arrive at Tokyo Narita Airport on Sunday, April 3 at 1:05 p.m. From there I will check in and take the train to Mishima, stopping twice. Now the countdown and packing commence.


Until next time, じゃね!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Vo In Japan